Club Updates on COVID-19
Posted on Monday, March 16th, 2020.
Last Updated 5/22/20 (11:30a)
COVID-19 has changed many things in our community. From takeout-only restaurants to online worship services, things look different.
What has NOT changed is how excited we are about #RiviSummer! Here is our plan:
- Please #Rivi Responsibly – Rivi is committed to meeting government guidelines for COVID-19 control; please help our staff and your fellow members by following those guidelines.
- Signs will be up regarding restrictions and procedures – please follow them
- Handwashing stations will be available – please use them
- Staff are working hard to comply with rules and regulations – please be patient
- State and county officials will be watching to make sure we are compliant – please do not give them any reason to find fault.
- Fitness Programs
- Opening on Monday, June 1 – tennis courts, basketball courts, and playgrounds.
- Opening on Monday, June 1 – inside fitness classes and equipment
- Using facilities –
- Advance registration for specific times will be required for tennis courts, fitness classes and fitness equipment to avoid crowding and to share these resources with as many members as possible.
- Registration link wil be shared next week
- Staff will be checking membership cards for both inside and outside facilities.
- Pool Programs
- Opening Wednesday, June 10 – the outdoor pools will open for general member use.
- Using the pools
- The County will only allow us to have 100 pool users at a time for the entire campus (yes, just 100 – we are appealing this decision)
- Advance registration for specific pool times will be required. This will help us avoid crowding and to share this resource with as many members as possible.
- Swimmers must register in advance, and registration links will be shared soon.
- Swim Teams should look for practice and meet schedules through the coaching staff
- Summer Camps — We will not be holding camps in June, but we will be offering camps in July. This schedule is being developed now, and will be released as soon as possible.
- Hospitality Programs – Our hospitality programs will focus on the Snack Shack, which will open when the outdoor pool opens. Opening hours for the lounge will be announced in the near future.
Please remember, these dates may change due to circumstances beyond our control.
In all of this, Please #Rivi Responsibly will remain our motto…we look forward to seeing you very soon!
The Board of Directors
Last Updated 5/14/20 (11:30a)
STEPS TOWARDS REOPENING
We know what you are wondering and we have the same question: when will The Riviera Club be allowed to reopen?
For now, the answers are complicated and the answers have to be given by others:
- The Governor has provided “Back on Track” instructions with timelines for the entire state. Will those timelines be met or will they be extended?
- The Mayor has directed Indianapolis to follow stay-at-home restrictions through May 15, and seems to be sticking with a “slow opening” approach.
- County leaders have provided stringent guidelines on using the pools. How will those restrictions impact us?
Mayor Hogsett’s instructions will be key, and so we are watching City Hall closely for answers. While we wait, let’s outline what we expect will happen:
- Tennis courts, playgrounds and outdoor basketball courts will open first. The fitness program team has already begun advertising classes for tennis to get us started.
- The indoor gyms will probably open next. Currently we are preparing online registration for classes and equipment, spacing out machines for distancing, setting aside special times for high risk members, and preparing for enhanced cleaning procedures.
- The outdoor pool will mostly likely follow the indoor gyms. Similar to the gyms, we will be putting online registration in place, dedicating time for members in high risk categories, and working to ensure fair use of the pool by all members. Walk-in swimming will not be allowed until we are able to fully open.
- Summer camps will probably come after the pool. There are many questions about proper supervision, procedures, activities and liability that still need to be answered. Our goal is to work through these issues next week as the rest of the state opens, and determine how to offer this important program.
Please #Rivi Responsibly is our motto this summer. We are working to reopen our club, but also meet our obligations to fellow members and staff to be thoughtful, to be safe, and to be patient with a situation outside of our control.
Think about how please #Rivi responsibly applies to you and yours this summer as we all look towards opening. Hopefully, our next message will provide some dates which we can get excited about!
The Board of Directors
Last Updated 3/30/20 (3:00p)
During these unprecedented times, the Board of Directors remains focused on the future of our club and the needs of the membership. One key to our future is selecting a permanent General Manager.
In March, the Board reviewed proposals from several search firms and selected GSI Executive Search. GSI is an industry leader with over 20 years of experience placing high quality candidates at clubs around the country. GSI will visit once travel restrictions are lifted. In the interim, the steps we can take through phone calls, emails, and virtual meetings have already begun with GSI’s guidance.
Two components of the search are the Search Committee and engaging with the Club’s management team. The Board chartered a Search Committee representing the wide diversity of Rivi members to work through lists of candidates and make recommendations to the Board. The Club’s management team will also be involved, as their understanding of the Rivi’s aquatics, fitness, tennis, hospitality and facility programs, as well as daily member engagement, provides an important perspective on the right future manager.
While we prepare for the future, work continues each day even without members on the campus:
- Opportunities for home-based exercises and fitness classes (and picture sharing!) are being offered through social media
- Pool construction is continuing and on track for May 22nd
- Deep cleaning is underway on campus to catch up chores made easier by the quiet
- Several vendor quotes are being considered for critical electrical work as the first step to prepare the Snack Shack kitchen and Beach Stand for operations
These difficult times are stretching small businesses across the country, especially restaurants, gyms, and other facilities that bring people together. Gordon Digby, the interim GM, has worked calmly with the Board to help us navigate these last few weeks. It is difficult enough for many to handle the current crises when most can “go home” each evening; how much more so for a temporary visitor to our city. “Thank you!” to Gordon for your professionalism!
-The Riviera Club Board of Directors
Last Updated 3/23/20 (1:00p)
The Covid-19 virus is placing our communities under significant pressure. Each of us is making difficult decisions about spending time with families and friends, and that stresses each of us in different ways.The Riviera Club serves as a home away from home, and a place where we spend time with family, friends and staff members. It is frustrating to not have access to our home away from home, but rest assured that work continues to serve the membership of the club:
- The club landscaping crews have been busy at work getting ready for the season. The Flower Power Group has selected an area for the Community Garden and work will begin shortly
- The pool renovation project continues and is on track for the May 29th opening
- Club management has arranged reciprocal benefits for Riviera Club members at Saddlebrook Golf Club. An announcement of the benefits will come out this week
- Renovations of the Snack Shack kitchen and the Beach Stand are being planned and implemented
Just like any home, the bills need to get paid even when the family is away. All members of the Riviera Club are in fact owners. The Rivi primarily operates on member dues, especially when programming is closed. Without your dues payments, we cannot pay the permanent staff, cover the costs of the pool renovations, pay utility bills, taxes, insurance, etc.
Thank you for continuing to make your monthly dues payments, and we want to let you know that we are putting together a plan to extend each member’s contract by the number of days we are closed. This will help us both pay our operating costs and do something to offset the loss of access to the club.Going forward, we will continue to monitor public health information, look for ways to bring value to the membership, and wait for the day we reopen our second home, the Rivi.
Board of Directors
Last Update 3/16/20 (4:00p)
Members of The Riviera Club:
Do to the ongoing Corona Virus (Covoid 19) outbreak and out of an abundance of caution for our members, their guests, and our staff, we are going to close the Rivi starting Tuesday, March 17th until further notice. All aspects of the club will be shut down, the pools, locker rooms, fitness rooms, lounge, basketball court, etc. We hope to re-open in early April, pending further guidance from the CDC, the State of Indiana, and local government agencies.
The business office will be operating on limited hours from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily. We will do our best to keep the membership informed during this crisis.
Sincerely, Gordon Digby Interim General Manager
Last update 3/16/20 (11:40a)
|The Board supports Public Health to minimize the spread of coronavirus including social separation and avoiding large meetings. The Board also believes in the right of members to access the Rivi, and the important role of exercise and fitness in managing stress.|
As a reminder, the Governor has said:
- Stay home if you are sick with COVID-19 or suspect you are infected with the virus, except to get medical care.
- · Emphasize social distancing by postponing large non-essential events of 250 or more people, and postponing smaller activities where 6 feet of distance per person is not possible.
- · Support social distancing by limiting contact with the elderly and those with compromised immunity, and avoiding handshakes and hugging.
- Regularly wash hands with soap and water, or use an alcohol based hand sanitizer.
- Seek prompt medical attention if your illness is worsening such as difficulty breathing and call your doctor or healthcare facility before you seek care.
To honor all of these goals, we will be taking the following steps:
- The campus is open and staff are reporting to work as normal. Do not come to campus if you are sick, or think you are sick. Please stay home.
- The pools are open, but we may need to limit the number of people in the pools at a given time. The CDC has said there is no evidence that coronavirus is transmitted through pools. We will monitor chlorine levels as we already do.
- First floor locker rooms remain open. Maintain the suggested 6 foot distance from people outside your family to minimize risk of transmission, and we will continue with our cleaning schedule.
- Tennis courts and playground remain open. Please be mindful of your own health and that of your family, and work towards the 6 feet of social distancing recommended.
- Fitness areas remain open. We are continuing cleaning efforts and may need to limit the number of users to minimize meet social separation goals.
- Lounge remains open with food service, but we may need to limit the number of users at one time.
- Group Fitness classes are suspended, but will be evaluated weekly to determine if we can find alternate locations in our facilities.
- KidZone is suspended but will be evaluated weekly.
- Thursday dinners are suspended and will be evaluated again April 1.
- Spring Camps are cancelled.
- The saunas and basement locker rooms are closed.
We will continue to monitor events, so if you have something you usually participate in, please call the office at 317-255-5471 and ask us!
If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to the General Manager, Gordon Digby, through the Rivi front desk (317) 255-5471 or by email at email@example.com.