I am interested in swimming laps. When are lap lanes available?
Here is the current schedule:5:30-9:45a 50 Meter Course Lanes 1-4 (Lap Swim only), 25 Yard Lanes 1-6, Walking Lanes are outside lanes 1 or 1010:00a-2:45p 50 Meter Course Lanes 2-9 (Lap Swim Only), 25 Yard Lanes 1-2, Walking Lanes 1 & 103:15-6:00p 50 Meter Course Lanes 2-5 (Lap Swim Only), 25 Yard Lanes 1-2
I enrolled my entire family and something came up! How do I cancel?
Please email email@example.com to cancel your reservation. Canceling in the Portal will not cancel everyone in your party, just you.
When will the classes (pool, fitness etc) open up for enrollment?
Enrollment for all sessions will open on the day prior.
Can I register for more than one swimming or fitness time slot a day?
Yes, but you will need to leave the pool and beach stand area when the whistle blows to allow for disinfecting of furniture, locker rooms, and railings. You will be able to re-enter once this cleaning process is completed.
Will I have to leave the Beach Stand when pool time ends?
Yes. We will be cleaning and disinfecting all of the Beach Stand and Pool Areas between swimming sessions, but you can always schedule another session or ask at the Front Desk if there is room in the next session to come back in for more time!
Welcome our new GM
The Board of Directors is pleased to announce the selection of James “Jimm” Moody, Jr, as the next General Manager of The Riviera Club. This selection following a national search involving 100 applicants, interviews with the ten most qualified, and then visits to Rivi by three final candidates. The Club Secretary, Lisa White, ACNP-BC, led eight Search Committee members representing the general membership, The Riviera Club Board, The Riviera Club Foundation, the Swim Club Parents and the Flower Power Group.
Mr. Moody has a extensive history as a leader in both the private club and food and beverage industries. He was recognized by Club Managers Association of America as a Certified Club Manager and Certified Chief Executive. His extensive experience in hospitality and club operations includes formal training hosted by the Culinary Institute of America and Cornell University. Jimm and his wife, Joyce, have been married for 32 years.
When asked about moving to Rivi, Mr. Moody said, “Since 1933, The Riviera Club has been the gem of Midtown. Its history of producing National and Olympic Swimming Champions is unparalleled. The opportunity to be the steward, entrusted with preserving and contributing to the Club’s history and tradition, is an honor. Joyce and I lived in Louisville for 15 years, and regularly visited Indianapolis and Brown County. We are excited to move to the city and become part of the Rivi family.” Jimm’s first day at the Rivi is planned to be Thursday, July 2. Although COVID-19 restrictions will place limits on our ability to hold a gathering to meet our new GM, when you see him, take time to welcome him to #RiviSummer!
Diversity in Membership
Recent events have highlighted significant divisions in our City. Sadly, many years ago Rivi itself had a racially discriminatory membership policy, something we absolutely reject today. As #RiviSummer begins, we invite our community to explore Rivi membership with confidence in our commitment to serve our community without regard for race, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, color, religion, disability or age. Learn more about Rivi’s outreach to the Indianapolis community through water safety activities and supporting after school programs at IPS #49 The Riviera Club Foundation.
Riviera Member Portal Information
You will need your member ID number to access the portal. Your number will be used for your user name AND your password. Once logged in it will prompt you to create your own password. Your member ID number can be found on your key tag.
Click here to view your portal.
Click here for a video of how to navigate your portal.
The CLASS SCHEDULE is where you will sign up for the pool, fitness center, group fitness and adult tennis. The pool, fitness center and group fitness can only be signed up for A DAY IN ADVANCE (opening at 12:01a the day before). With adult tennis you can sign up for classes at any time.
The COURSE/EVENTS SCHEDULE is where you will sign up for youth tennis and eventually swim lessons. Please make sure you enroll yourself (or your child) in the correct dates.
The BOOK APPOINTMENTS is not available at this time.
We are so excited to have you back at the club! Please remember our motto this year #RiviResponsibly
Please DON’T come to the club if you or someone you have been around has had a fever in the last 48 hours. If you are experiencing a cough, shortness of breath, or sore throat. Or if you have been in close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19.
Rivi Scavenger Hunt Color Pages
Color one or color them all! Scavenger hunt will start Monday, April 20 be sure to have them up in your window by then.
Thank you to Hendrix Rader Wise for making these AWESOME coloring sheets for us.
Club Updates on COVID-19
Last Updated 5/22/20 (11:30a)
COVID-19 has changed many things in our community. From takeout-only restaurants to online worship services, things look different.
What has NOT changed is how excited we are about #RiviSummer! Here is our plan:
- Please #Rivi Responsibly – Rivi is committed to meeting government guidelines for COVID-19 control; please help our staff and your fellow members by following those guidelines.
- Signs will be up regarding restrictions and procedures – please follow them
- Handwashing stations will be available – please use them
- Staff are working hard to comply with rules and regulations – please be patient
- State and county officials will be watching to make sure we are compliant – please do not give them any reason to find fault.
- Fitness Programs
- Opening on Monday, June 1 – tennis courts, basketball courts, and playgrounds.
- Opening on Monday, June 1 – inside fitness classes and equipment
- Using facilities –
- Advance registration for specific times will be required for tennis courts, fitness classes and fitness equipment to avoid crowding and to share these resources with as many members as possible.
- Registration link wil be shared next week
- Staff will be checking membership cards for both inside and outside facilities.
- Pool Programs
- Opening Wednesday, June 10 – the outdoor pools will open for general member use.
- Using the pools
- The County will only allow us to have 100 pool users at a time for the entire campus (yes, just 100 – we are appealing this decision)
- Advance registration for specific pool times will be required. This will help us avoid crowding and to share this resource with as many members as possible.
- Swimmers must register in advance, and registration links will be shared soon.
- Swim Teams should look for practice and meet schedules through the coaching staff
- Summer Camps — We will not be holding camps in June, but we will be offering camps in July. This schedule is being developed now, and will be released as soon as possible.
- Hospitality Programs – Our hospitality programs will focus on the Snack Shack, which will open when the outdoor pool opens. Opening hours for the lounge will be announced in the near future.
Please remember, these dates may change due to circumstances beyond our control.
In all of this, Please #Rivi Responsibly will remain our motto…we look forward to seeing you very soon!
The Board of Directors
Last Updated 5/14/20 (11:30a)
STEPS TOWARDS REOPENING
We know what you are wondering and we have the same question: when will The Riviera Club be allowed to reopen?
For now, the answers are complicated and the answers have to be given by others:
- The Governor has provided “Back on Track” instructions with timelines for the entire state. Will those timelines be met or will they be extended?
- The Mayor has directed Indianapolis to follow stay-at-home restrictions through May 15, and seems to be sticking with a “slow opening” approach.
- County leaders have provided stringent guidelines on using the pools. How will those restrictions impact us?
Mayor Hogsett’s instructions will be key, and so we are watching City Hall closely for answers. While we wait, let’s outline what we expect will happen:
- Tennis courts, playgrounds and outdoor basketball courts will open first. The fitness program team has already begun advertising classes for tennis to get us started.
- The indoor gyms will probably open next. Currently we are preparing online registration for classes and equipment, spacing out machines for distancing, setting aside special times for high risk members, and preparing for enhanced cleaning procedures.
- The outdoor pool will mostly likely follow the indoor gyms. Similar to the gyms, we will be putting online registration in place, dedicating time for members in high risk categories, and working to ensure fair use of the pool by all members. Walk-in swimming will not be allowed until we are able to fully open.
- Summer camps will probably come after the pool. There are many questions about proper supervision, procedures, activities and liability that still need to be answered. Our goal is to work through these issues next week as the rest of the state opens, and determine how to offer this important program.
Please #Rivi Responsibly is our motto this summer. We are working to reopen our club, but also meet our obligations to fellow members and staff to be thoughtful, to be safe, and to be patient with a situation outside of our control.
Think about how please #Rivi responsibly applies to you and yours this summer as we all look towards opening. Hopefully, our next message will provide some dates which we can get excited about!
The Board of Directors
Last Updated 3/30/20 (3:00p)
During these unprecedented times, the Board of Directors remains focused on the future of our club and the needs of the membership. One key to our future is selecting a permanent General Manager.
In March, the Board reviewed proposals from several search firms and selected GSI Executive Search. GSI is an industry leader with over 20 years of experience placing high quality candidates at clubs around the country. GSI will visit once travel restrictions are lifted. In the interim, the steps we can take through phone calls, emails, and virtual meetings have already begun with GSI’s guidance.
Two components of the search are the Search Committee and engaging with the Club’s management team. The Board chartered a Search Committee representing the wide diversity of Rivi members to work through lists of candidates and make recommendations to the Board. The Club’s management team will also be involved, as their understanding of the Rivi’s aquatics, fitness, tennis, hospitality and facility programs, as well as daily member engagement, provides an important perspective on the right future manager.
While we prepare for the future, work continues each day even without members on the campus:
- Opportunities for home-based exercises and fitness classes (and picture sharing!) are being offered through social media
- Pool construction is continuing and on track for May 22nd
- Deep cleaning is underway on campus to catch up chores made easier by the quiet
- Several vendor quotes are being considered for critical electrical work as the first step to prepare the Snack Shack kitchen and Beach Stand for operations
These difficult times are stretching small businesses across the country, especially restaurants, gyms, and other facilities that bring people together. Gordon Digby, the interim GM, has worked calmly with the Board to help us navigate these last few weeks. It is difficult enough for many to handle the current crises when most can “go home” each evening; how much more so for a temporary visitor to our city. “Thank you!” to Gordon for your professionalism!
-The Riviera Club Board of Directors
Last Updated 3/23/20 (1:00p)
The Covid-19 virus is placing our communities under significant pressure. Each of us is making difficult decisions about spending time with families and friends, and that stresses each of us in different ways.The Riviera Club serves as a home away from home, and a place where we spend time with family, friends and staff members. It is frustrating to not have access to our home away from home, but rest assured that work continues to serve the membership of the club:
- The club landscaping crews have been busy at work getting ready for the season. The Flower Power Group has selected an area for the Community Garden and work will begin shortly
- The pool renovation project continues and is on track for the May 29th opening
- Club management has arranged reciprocal benefits for Riviera Club members at Saddlebrook Golf Club. An announcement of the benefits will come out this week
- Renovations of the Snack Shack kitchen and the Beach Stand are being planned and implemented
Just like any home, the bills need to get paid even when the family is away. All members of the Riviera Club are in fact owners. The Rivi primarily operates on member dues, especially when programming is closed. Without your dues payments, we cannot pay the permanent staff, cover the costs of the pool renovations, pay utility bills, taxes, insurance, etc.
Thank you for continuing to make your monthly dues payments, and we want to let you know that we are putting together a plan to extend each member’s contract by the number of days we are closed. This will help us both pay our operating costs and do something to offset the loss of access to the club.Going forward, we will continue to monitor public health information, look for ways to bring value to the membership, and wait for the day we reopen our second home, the Rivi.
Board of Directors
Last Update 3/16/20 (4:00p)
Members of The Riviera Club:
Do to the ongoing Corona Virus (Covoid 19) outbreak and out of an abundance of caution for our members, their guests, and our staff, we are going to close the Rivi starting Tuesday, March 17th until further notice. All aspects of the club will be shut down, the pools, locker rooms, fitness rooms, lounge, basketball court, etc. We hope to re-open in early April, pending further guidance from the CDC, the State of Indiana, and local government agencies.
The business office will be operating on limited hours from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily. We will do our best to keep the membership informed during this crisis.
Sincerely, Gordon Digby Interim General Manager
Last update 3/16/20 (11:40a)
|The Board supports Public Health to minimize the spread of coronavirus including social separation and avoiding large meetings. The Board also believes in the right of members to access the Rivi, and the important role of exercise and fitness in managing stress.|
As a reminder, the Governor has said:
- Stay home if you are sick with COVID-19 or suspect you are infected with the virus, except to get medical care.
- · Emphasize social distancing by postponing large non-essential events of 250 or more people, and postponing smaller activities where 6 feet of distance per person is not possible.
- · Support social distancing by limiting contact with the elderly and those with compromised immunity, and avoiding handshakes and hugging.
- Regularly wash hands with soap and water, or use an alcohol based hand sanitizer.
- Seek prompt medical attention if your illness is worsening such as difficulty breathing and call your doctor or healthcare facility before you seek care.
To honor all of these goals, we will be taking the following steps:
- The campus is open and staff are reporting to work as normal. Do not come to campus if you are sick, or think you are sick. Please stay home.
- The pools are open, but we may need to limit the number of people in the pools at a given time. The CDC has said there is no evidence that coronavirus is transmitted through pools. We will monitor chlorine levels as we already do.
- First floor locker rooms remain open. Maintain the suggested 6 foot distance from people outside your family to minimize risk of transmission, and we will continue with our cleaning schedule.
- Tennis courts and playground remain open. Please be mindful of your own health and that of your family, and work towards the 6 feet of social distancing recommended.
- Fitness areas remain open. We are continuing cleaning efforts and may need to limit the number of users to minimize meet social separation goals.
- Lounge remains open with food service, but we may need to limit the number of users at one time.
- Group Fitness classes are suspended, but will be evaluated weekly to determine if we can find alternate locations in our facilities.
- KidZone is suspended but will be evaluated weekly.
- Thursday dinners are suspended and will be evaluated again April 1.
- Spring Camps are cancelled.
- The saunas and basement locker rooms are closed.
We will continue to monitor events, so if you have something you usually participate in, please call the office at 317-255-5471 and ask us!
If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to the General Manager, Gordon Digby, through the Rivi front desk (317) 255-5471 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rivi Tag for Summer 2020
Summer is fast approaching and with over 7000 members, we would like to streamline your entry to the outdoor pool. As was done last summer, there will be an “Express Lane” for those who have their tag with picture, and a “No Tag Lane” for those that do not have a tag and/or picture. We request that all members have their picture on file to make it easier for you to enter the facilities.
Beginning now through May 21st each member who comes in for their picture will receive one free guest pass that can be used in 2020 for an in town or out of town guest. This guest pass will not count toward the 4 visit limit for in town guest.
If you have lost your tag, you will be given a new tag free when you have your picture taken.
We appreciate your attention to this matter as Rivi is always striving to improve your overall member experience.
Summer Break Camp
Come join the fun!
At Rivi Camps kids stay active, learn new skills, build friendships and enjoy their break
Our 2020 Summer Camp start date is TBD and will run through August 7
The Riviera Club Foundation
To advance the development of youth and amateur athletics throughout the community with attention toward serving underprivileged populations.
Through water safety, health and wellness programs and other initiatives, we aim to enhance the lives of families throughout Indianapolis.
The Riviera Club Foundation exists to positively impact our community and support the future of our historic club financially. The Riviera Club Foundation raised a million dollars through a grant from CICF to pay for renovations to our beloved outdoor pool. In addition to receiving grants, we are a 501©3 which enables donors to make tax-deductible donations to the Riviera Club. Donations made can support the club through endowment, debt relief, and support the Foundation’s community outreach programs.
As discussed at the Annual Meeting, many opportunities to improve our campus remain. A technical audit of our facilities in February identified the Rivi’s electrical and fire suppression systems, as well as Snack Shack and Main Kitchen equipment, are many decades out of date and require immediate repair.
The electrical and fire suppression projects have begun so that the outdoor pool and fitness rooms are safe when members return and do not have to be closed. Kitchen repairs will take more time and resources. As we look forward to re-opening, please consider making a gift to help with these required upgrades. Please reach out to Jacqueline Burkholder with questions about how your tax- deductible donation will be used.
We have a goal of serving 1,000 annually in water safety by Summer 2021. We would like to go above and beyond to provide actual swim lessons to as many of those kids as possible. Because a large portion of the children in the targeted populations do not own a swimsuit, it will be imperative for us to provide one to each sponsored child. With a $25 donation YOU can “SPONSOR-A-SWIMMER” and provide a child an opportunity to learn life saving water safety and swim instruction.
Cash or check donations can be made directly at the Riviera Club, simply give to someone at the front desk to put in our mailbox.
This January the we are proud to have launched our first community outreach program. The Warrior Kids Club is an afterschool program, currently being held at IPS School #49. It is an eight-week program providing yoga, mindfulness, and a unique lesson each week. Erin Peckenpaugh, Founder of Rise Yoga & Events is thoughtfully, “Providing a safe space for stillness and rest to busy bodies and minds.” She adds, “It is a true gift. I’m so honored the Riviera Club Foundation is willing to invest in these kids. It is making a difference. The kids are practicing at home and teaching their siblings.”
Our Director, Jacqueline Burkholder, recently participated in a Warrior Kids Club class. “Too many children today are suffering from high levels of anxiety, stress, body image issues, self-doubt, depression, etc. We must take action and provide today’s youth with coping mechanisms to help them live happy and fulfilling lives. Going to the Warrior Kids Club was an incredible experience. The kids opened up about things that were troubling them. Erin taught about self-love, she asked the kids to write letters to their future self including what they love about their self. The kids were able to build confidence by trying new yoga poses, and enjoy relaxation through breathing practices and savasana. What we are proving through this program impacts these kids far beyond the yoga mat. Thank you for your support.”
Riviera BOD Candidates
2020 Board of Directors Candidates